1922 – 2008
Frederick Joseph Yates, was born in Urmston in 1922. He began his working life as an insurance clerk but this career was cut short by the Second World War, during which he served as a Grenadier Guards.
After the war Yates took up painting on his return to Manchester – initially as a painter and decorator. And it was whilst working in Manchester, and training to become a teacher, that Yates began painting – much in the vein of LS Lowry.
By 1970 Yates was living and working in Cornwall, England, as a painter. In Cornwall, he painted almost exclusively outdoors – scenes of local village life, clifftop and beach scenes. It was around this period that Yates’ commercial success began after the “St Ives 1939-64” exhibition at the Tate Gallery in London. It was also around this time that Yates had a solo exhibition in Geneva
In the early 1990’s Yates moved to France to a small village called Rancon in department 87, Haute-Vienne . Here he painted local scenes, one of his favorites being a small chapel in the woods just outside Rancon, called Saint-Sulpice. He both met and encouraged local artists and worked with British artists based in the area.
His paintings are included in many private and public collections including Brighton and Hove Art Gallery, Liverpool University, the University of Warwick, Torquay Art Gallery and Russell Coates Gallery Bournemouth.