This mill, more properly known as Stanley Mill, was built for the Cannon Brothers Company in 1884. It eventually ceased activities in 1971 before being demolished in 1974. The Mill was surrounded by terraced housing, but the whole area was redeveloped in the late 1970s and nothing of the Mill remains. Its former site is now a supermarket - just along Cannon Street to the South remains Emmanuel Church, where residents near to Stanley Mill used to worship.
This painting is featured as Fig 48 in Stephen Whittle's book "Roger Hampson: A Lost Landscape".